Language skills and country knowledge as requirements for citizenship
A systematic reference list.
The Norwegian Directorate for Integration and Diversity commissioned a systematic literature search and subsequent categorisation of studies that examined the effect of and/or experiences with language skills and country knowledge as requirements for citizenship.
We searched eight databases as well as other sources (i.e. grey literature) from 2000 to December 2015. Two researchers independently screened identified titles and abstracts (hereafter abstracts) for inclusion against predefined criteria.
• The literature search resulted in 5332 unique references
• In total, we identified 28 relevant references
- 7 studies measuring effect
- 14 studies looking at experience and contents of documents and discourses
- 7 publications that give theoretical discussions about language skills and country knowledge as requirements for citizenship.
Documentation about the effectiveness, experiences, and contents of interventions concerning language skills and country knowledge as requirements for citizenship is available.
In this systematic literature search we have not read the publications in full and hence neither critically evaluated the methodological quality nor synthesised the results of the studies. We have only sorted the references by type, based on the abstracts.