The Norwegian Knowledge Centre for the Health Services was commissioned by the Norwegian Directorate of Health to perform a systematic search for and selection of relevant publications. The commission was to find literature and research on the effect on motivational interviewing for changing the following living habits: Physical activity, diet, smoking and drinking habits.
We performed systematic literature searches on March 22 nd 2010. We searched in the following databases:
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR) The Cochrane Library 2010 Issue 2
- Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects (DARE) Center for Reviews and Dissemination (CRD)
- Health Technology Assessment Database (HTA) Center for Reviews and Dissemination (CRD)
- MEDLINE 1950 to March Week 2 2010 (Ovid)
- EMBASE 1980 to 2010 Week 11 (Ovid)
- PsycINFO 1806 to March Week 3 2010 (Ovid)
Two researchers independently read and identified publications/references and assessed their relevance according to the inclusion criterias.
A total of 1189 publications were identified. 68 of these were considered relevant.
The references were sorted in the following categories:
- Physical activity (4 ref)
- Diet (4 ref)
- Overweight and diabetes (4 ref)
- Smoking (18 ref)
- Drinking/alcohol abuse (17 ref)
- Combined abuse (2 ref)
- Change in living habits in several areas (15 ref)
- Health economic evaluations (2 ref)
- About motivational interviewing (2 ref)