Get alerts of updates about «Vision of the Norwegian Institute of Public Health»
You have subscribed to alerts about:
Vision of the Norwegian Institute of Public Health
Skip to content on this page
The NIPH is responsible for knowledge production and systematic reviews for the health sector and provides knowledge about the health status in the population, influencing factors and how it can be improved.
The institute is a national competence institution in the following areas:
- infectious disease control
- physical and mental health
- environmental factors, substance abuse, tobacco, nutrition, physical activity and other factors that affects health status and inequality
- health-promoting and preventive measures in the population
- global health
The Norwegian Institute of Public Health shall provide knowledge for public health and the health and care services. This knowledge supports the institute's activities with regards to emergency preparedness, advice, health analysis, research and services.
Vision: Better health for all
The Public Health Report (Good health – joint responsibility, Government White Paper 34, 2012-2013) and the Public Health Act (2012) have set the following public health goals in Norway:
- Norway shall be among the top three countries with the highest life expectancy in the world.
- The Norwegian population shall experience more years of good health and well-being, with reduced social inequalities in health.
- We shall create a society that promotes good health throughout the entire population.
The Norwegian Institute of Public Health contributes to these goals by delivering knowledge for public health.
Some key facts
- Established in January 2002.
- 866 man-years as of 31.12.2018.
- Annual budget: 1.737 billion Norwegian Kroner. This includes:
- Purchase, storage and distribution of vaccines in the Childhood Immunisation Programme and for emergency preparedness
- Sales income
- Project funding
- External research grants obtained via national and international competition