Get alerts of updates about «Definitions»
You have subscribed to alerts about:
Definitions of COVID-19 cases and close contacts
Skip to content on this page
A person who meets the clinical criteria: acute respiratory tract infection and one or more of the following symptoms; fever, cough, shortness of breath, loss of sense of smell/taste, or who is considered by a doctor to have suspected COVID-19.
A person who develops symptom consistent with "suspected COVID-19" (see above).
A probable case should be isolated in the same way as a confirmed case. Household members should be in quarantine until a test result becomes available.
A person with coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) confirmed by RT-PCR test or rapid antigen test (rapid immunoassay). See requirements for rapid antigen tests.
- Hurtigtest for påvisning av koronavirus - rapid antigen test for SARS-CoV-2 (in Norwegian)
You are considered to be a "close contact" if
- you have been in contact with a person with confirmed COVID-19 disease less than 48 hours before onset of their first symptoms. If the person who is confirmed to have COVID-19 does not develop symptoms, contact tracing is done from the time of testing.
- the contact has been
- less than two metres away for more than 15 minutes OR
- in direct physical contact OR
- in direct contact with secretions.
This does not apply when recommended personal protective equipment is used in the healthcare service.
Anyone who can document that they have had COVID-19 disease using an approved method (PCR or rapid antigen test) during the last six months, are exempt from quarantine duty.
The most exposed close contacts are "household members and equivalent close contacts". This usually means those who:
- Live in the same household.
- Have had similar close physical contact as in a household (for example, boyfriend/girlfriend, colleagues who sit near each other in an open plan office).
- Have cared for a person with confirmed COVID-19 disease or had similar close physical contact, without having used recommended protective equipment.