Information for general managers and registration for the air purifier study
Would you like to help us find out whether air purifiers in restaurants, bars and cafés can help to reduce the spread of respiratory infection amongst staff? On this page, you will find information about how your establishment can join the Air Purifier Study. You will also find supplementary information for managers of establishments which are already taking part in the research project.
Registration for restaurants, bars, cafés and clubs
General managers of catering establishments who wish to participate in the study can register their interest by sending us an e-mail.
The general manager will then receive a reply from the project group at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health’s Centre for Epidemic Interventions Research. The e-mail will contain information about the study, consent to the collection and use of data, and how the employee should sign up and participate in the study. NIPH will cover all costs associated with the purchase, installation and maintenance of the air purifiers.
What will participating involve?
The following will happen when you as a manager of a catering establishment AGREE to take part in the air purifier study:
- We will send you flyers and information providing brief information about the study and website addresses, as well as contact details for the project team.
- You will inform your staff, e.g. at a staff meeting, about the study and tell them that you as a catering establishment would like to participate in it. You will hand out flyers to members of staff who would like to find out more.
- You will draw up a list of staff who have expressed an interest in receiving more information, and possibly participating in the research project. Participation is entirely voluntary, and no pressure must be exerted by the management. It is important that staff are given the opportunity to opt out of being placed on the list and then contacted by us. It is important that staff are given the opportunity to opt out of being placed on the list and then contacted by us.
- The list of employees who have expressed an interest must include the name, e-mail address and mobile phone number of the employees concerned. We will then contact the people on the list with information and a request for participation in the project.
- Those who are interested will receive an information letter, a link to a website and a consent form. Those who wish to participate in the study consent to this. You must log in using BankID in order to identify yourself.
- We will not start the study until we have enough establishments and participants.
- We will randomly divide the establishments into an intervention group and a control group, i.e. one group which has an air purifier fitted with a HEPA filter installed, and one group which does not.
- No additional effort is required on the part of the management or employees at the establishment with regard to the installation of air purifiers. A company will arrive at the agreed time and set them up. The company will also carry out any necessary maintenance on the air purifiers.
- We will need to obtain information about planned working days and days of absence for the staff who are participating in the study. A simple online form will be sent to your e-mail address in order to collect this information.
- At the end of the study period, the installation company will take the air purifiers away.
- We will disseminate the results of the study in scientific journals and on our website.
There is a lot of information on our website:
- Do you need more information about the research project? Find out more about the study here.
- Are you employed in the industry? Are you considering becoming, or are you already, a participant in the air purifier study? See this page for information aimed at you in particular.
Do you have any questions that you can't find the answers to here? Please feel free to contact us by e-mail.