The activities of the Department of Vaccines include:
- Giving advice to health personnel on vaccination.
- Providing advice to the Ministry of Health and Care Services on vaccination, especially on the national childhood immunisation programme.
- Providing information to the public on vaccines and vaccination.
- Developing information materials such as brochures and reports.
- Monitoring vaccination coverage in the childhood immunisation programme through a national electronic vaccination registry (SYSVAK).
- Monitoring adverse events following immunisation.
- Supply of vaccines for the national childhood immunisation programme, influenza vaccines for risk groups and state-funded vaccines.
- Wholesaler for vaccines and specific immunoglobulins with authorisation to distribute vaccines directly to health personnel.
- Research on vaccines and vaccine-related issues.